In this blog piece, you are going to be reading about some very important tips that you should keep in mind, especially when you are attending scientific conferences. You are probably sitting in a room of hundreds of people in a field of study that requires a lot of intelligent people. You probably don’t know some people in the audience, and you have a couple of friends. You have probably been very busy trying to process everything that is around you, and you may have missed out on a few key sessions. You are probably exhausted from the jetlag and your commute between the hotel and also the conference.
If you are somebody who has faced some points from the above paragraph, you have come to the right place. It can be quite daunting, but there are certainly some benefits to attending a scientific conference. Not only did you get to learn about a lot of research that is going on in your field, but you will also have the opportunity to network with people who are doing the same kind of research that you are. You could potentially find some collaborators and potential future employers. A scientific conference is definitely a place where you can meet people who are interested in the same things that you are interested in. Scientific conferences are definitely great for your career. Here are some tips on making the most out of your conference.
- Firstly, I highly suggest defining your goals. If you are somebody who is stepping into the job market, make sure that you make decisions toward that particular point. If you are looking for a mentor or a collaborator, you should make sure that those goals are very clear.
- You need to definitely plan ahead. We need to make sure that you don’t wait until the conference starts, to start planning your activities. Research who is attending and who is giving out presentations, way ahead of time. If you plan ahead, you can have a smooth couple of days.
- You should also make sure that you choose the right kind of sessions that will benefit you and your research. It should benefit your span of knowledge.
- I would definitely suggest making use of social media as an invaluable tool, because it can help you connect with people who are also probably attending the conference. You can do this so that you probably want to be alone. You can find people who are like-minded and stick to them, in the conference.
- You should also make sure that you socialise and network. You need to make sure that you are attending the conference for the right reasons and you should also be sure to socialise with everybody who is present.